The book blogging community is a kind one – I know this because I was recently tagged for the “Blogger Recognition Award” by Dawlyn and Krista Little Blind Book Finds (Thank you, that’s nice!). With just five blog posts to my name, they might have me confused with someone way more qualified but I’ll play along:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Write a post to show your award.
- Give a brief story of how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice for new bloggers.
- Select 15 other bloggers you want to give this award to.
- Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them & provide the link to the post you created.
How I Started
I’m no stranger to blogging but the book blog/booktube community is a new environment for me. One I’m still learning about and exploring. I started a blog to house my monthly micro-reviews and document my personal reading journey in a super-public way. But, mainly, I began so I could stalk other readers and obsessively add new titles to my growing TBR pile because I plan on living forever.
My advice for new bloggers
- Don’t take yourself too seriously – this is supposed to be fun! How many times have you written a blog post only to scrap the whole thing because it felt silly and contrived? Your opinion matters. To someone, anyway. I’ve got embarrassing adolescent LiveJournal posts from 1999 that, to this day, still haunt my dreams and shame my dead ancestors. That’s my contribution to the internets. Own that shit.
- Don’t stress about your visitor metrics or followers. At least for now. I had only three unique visitors yesterday (My mom probably logging in from the local library – thanks Mom!) but at least that’s two more than the day before. Literary armies don’t just amass overnight. Also, no one actually cares so feel free to lie to your book club about your influencer status.
Now here’s the part where I’m supposed to tag a bunch of people who have no idea who I am. Sorry. Also, haaai! And, hey, don’t feel super obligated to complete this tag. But, I mean, you should definitely feel guilty if you don’t. This is mostly a list of some of my favorite bookish personalities I follow and you should follow too!
Naz at Read Diverse Books
Lindsay at Bibbidi Bobbidi Bookworm
Renée at Some Kind of a Library
Kate at The Loud Library Lady
Darkowaaa at African Book Addict
A Babe at Babe with a Book and a Beer
I know that’s not 15, but you know what they say: quality over quantity!